Thursday, August 11, 2016

Hurricane Earl update

[The following email and photographs were received today from Albert Jones (CCCCC), in response to a query about the effects of Hurricane Earl on the South Water Caye CREWS/CCCCC buoy.]
These are the first pictures I received of the South Water Caye buoy. I have requested from Sam to get some closer shots and to investigate if there were any salt water intrusion in the hull. Will share as soon as I get more info. So in a nutshell, both systems are on land at this time.
The SWBZ1 buoy as seen washed onto land, after Hurricane Earl, August 2016. Click on this image to see it in its original size.
The SWBZ1 buoy as seen washed onto land, after Hurricane Earl, August 2016. Click on this image to see it in its original size.
For purposes of comparison I am attaching an older photo of this buoy, showing its location on November 2nd, 2015. At the time I visited the buoy was anchored in a cove by a Belize Fisheries Rangers Station near South Water Caye, and I am assuming it remained in that location until impacted by the effects of Hurricane Earl.

-- Mike J+
The SWBZ1 buoy as I last saw it on November 2nd, 2015. Click on this image to see it in its original size.